Thursday 3 January 2013

Logo Design - Personal Brief

For this personal brief I decided on creating a logo/identity for a company or restaurant. After a bit of thinking I decided to go with creating a logo/identity for a gym so I set a few guidelines to help myself create the logo/identity.

The guidelines are as follows:
. Create a logo for a Dublin city centre gym.
. The gym's clientèle are busy, health conscious young professionals.
. The age group being targeted is 20-35.
. Put a particular emphasis on people who wouldn't consider themselves as typical gym goers who might be intimidated by the idea of it.
. The gym should be seen as friendly, accessible and helpful.

I set out to designing the logo making a few sketches and notes while following the few guidelines I made. I used Illustrator for creating the logo. I thought of using Photoshop but I felt it would be simpler to just use Illustrator. I wanted to create something that was visually appealing and strong that could be used on any type of advertising material.

I came up with the gym name "U-Fit". I felt it was strong and could be expanded onto and it would also allow me some creativity when designing a logo. The "U" stands for "Universal" but I opted to leave that out from the logo when designing it.

Here are the designs I came up with.


With this logo I wanted to incorporate something visual into the name. I went with a character who was stretching and the idea behind it was that the stretching character was making the shape of a U. I decided to add the line "Fitness & Relaxation Studio"  to the logo as a way of softening the overall logo. That way, anyone who is intimidated by a gym will see that it's not all about working out and sweating. 

I chose a strong font for the name of the gym and a more slim, easily readable font for the line of text under the logo. As far as the colour scheme goes, I wanted to try out just two colours on each logo. The reason for this was I didn't want to clutter up the logo's with a lot of colours or shading.


The second logo follows suit from the first in many respects. The colour scheme is the same and the layout is similar. I again went with a visual aid in the logo. I created the U free hand with a minimalist style so that it looked just like a U but if you look closer the U is a a character working out/stretching to the shape of a U. This logo was my favourite of the 3 I designed. I felt it was elegant and strong.




This is the third and final logo I designed. I enjoyed creating this logo as I felt it could be used with or without the line's of text I had used to accompany the circular design. The colour schemes in all 3 stayed the same but I used different fonts in each logo that I felt complimented the logo designs.

Out of the 3 logo's, I liked different things in each but ultimately I preferred the 2nd logo I designed so I decided to choose that as my final design. I then decided to make a few changes to the colour scheme of the 2nd logo and also keep to keep the weights in the U to further add to the illustration.


Overall, I'm happy with the outcome of this personal brief. Thank you for reading.


1 comment: